5 Things You Need to Know Today: Jan. 28
Here's a look at some events going on around the Dexter area today.
The daily 5 has the weather forecast, gas prices, and some suggestions on how to spend your day.
1. The weather
The National Weather Service predicts rain likely today, mainly before 10 a.m., with a high near 49 degrees. Monday night there is a chance of rain, with a low around 41 degrees.
2. Transition Town Chelsea presents author Thomas Princen speaking on 'Consumption and Sufficiency.'
University of Michigan professor Thomas Princen will give a talk that on his signature studies, consumerism and sufficiency, as well as recent work on exiting the Fossil Fuel Era at 7:15 p.m. Monday at the Chelsea Senior Center.
3. Dexter Town Hall Meeting
The village of Dexter will host a town hall meeting on Feb. 12 at 7 p.m. at the Dexter District Library. Community members are welcome to attend this open forum with the village council.
4. Gas prices
MichiganGasPrices.com reports the following gasoline prices in the Dexter area as of Sunday night:
- $3.32 a gallon (regular) BP, 200 Baker Rd.
- $3.33 a gallon (regular), Sunoco, 2940 Baker Rd.
- $3.33 a gallon (regular), Pilot Service Station, 195 Baker Rd.
- $3.33 a gallon (regular), Pilot Service Station, 750 Baker Rd.
- $3.39 a gallon (regular), BP, 8135 Main St.
- $3.39 a gallon (regular), Mobil, 7177 Dexter-Ann Arbor Rd.
5. This day in history
Jan. 28, 1986: On this day in January 1986, the space shuttle Challenger exploded over Cape Canaveral, Fla. Teacher Christa McAuliffe, the first ordinary U.S. civilian to travel into space, died in the accident. For more historic dates, visit www.history.com.