At the request of the Michigan Association of Chiropractors (MAC), Gov. Rick Snyder has signed an executive declaration naming October “Spinal Healthcare Month” in Michigan.
In the declaration, Snyder proclaimed that the “proper function of the nervous system and the correct alignment of the spine are paramount to the body’s ability to grow and develop appropriately, and to work effectively and efficiently.”
“The science of chiropractic care and the doctors who practice it have contributed greatly to the health and well-being of our citizenry," Snyder said.
In honor of the governor's proclamation, Bill and Jennifer Simpson of Simpson Chiropractic in Dexter are working to educate the community about proper spinal health care.
“Back pain is the second most common reason for visits to a doctor’s office in the United States,” said Dr. Bill Simpson. “It is estimated that 80 percent of us will suffer from back pain at some point in our lives. Even everyday activities, if not done properly, can lead to back pain. However, there are ways that this pain can be prevented.”
The back is a complicated structure of bones, joints, ligaments, and muscles. Sometimes, even the simplest, everyday tasks, such as picking something up from the floor, can cause back pain.
The American Chiropractic Association suggest the following tips to reduce the risk of spinal injury:
- Don’t lift by bending over. Instead, bend your hips and knees and then squat to pick up the object. Keep your back straight, and hold the object close to your body.
- Don’t twist your body when lifting.
- Push, rather than pull, when you must move heavy objects.
- If you must sit for long periods, such as in front of a computer monitor, take frequent breaks and stretch.
- Wear flat shoes or shoes with low heels.
- Exercise regularly. An inactive lifestyle contributes to lower-back pain.
“The key to spinal health is prevention,” Simpson said. “These simple tips can make all the difference in the world in stopping low-back pain before it happens. When patients require chiropractic care, however, they will want to visit their chiropractor as soon as possible.”