The holiday season is a time of joy, and if one's lucky, of plenty.
Sadly, hunger continues to be a problem, with one in four Michigan children living in poverty and nearly half qualifying for free or low-cost school lunches.
To help, Patch.com has launched an online food drive, with all of its 30 Michigan sites participating. Patch is partnering with Gleaners Community Food Bank in this virtual food drive, and the goal is to raise $10,000 by Nov. 24 to help feed local families.
Though Gleaners does not service Washtenaw County, all money raised in Washtenaw County will be sent to Ann Arbor Food Gatherers, which partners with local food banks in our communities.
Shop Gleaners' virtual grocery shelves. Click to get started!
Follow progress of Patch's fight against hunger. Click to watch donations grow!
- Last year Food Gatherers provided 5.6 million pounds of food to hungry families via its 150 partner agencies across Washtenaw County.
- In Washtenaw County 10,920 children, or 1 in 6, were "food insecure" in 2011.
- More than 317,000 children across Southeast Michigan are in need of a warm, nutritious meal in school.
How You Can Help
That being said, you can help—or get help—in any number of ways in the Dexter area.
- LaFontaine is hosting a Family Deal Food Drive through November. Bring canned goods to the LaFontaine Chevrolet in Dexter. Donations will be sent to Faith in Action.
- Dexter hosts Meals on Wheels programs, and volunteers are always needed. Call the Dexter Senior Center at 734-426-5397 to get involved.
- Volunteers are also welcome at Faith in Action. Help pack boxes, sort food and clothes, and provide assistance to families in need. Call Nancy Malone at 734-475-3305.
- Busch's "Season of Sharing" food drive continues through Nov 21. Donations of food or money are taken in person at each Busch’s store in Washtenaw County.
And, of course, one can always donate. To make a donation to Ann Arbor Food Gatherers, call 734-761-2796. To make a donation to Faith in Action, call 734-475-3305.