A lot happened in 2012 — but that year is over. A lot is on deck for the Dexter community in 2013, as well. Here are the top five things we're looking forward to this year:
1. Dexter Cityhood Vote: Residents within the proposed boundaries of what would be the City of Dexter will vote on whether to proceed with the cityhood process in May. If voters approve, the process continues, and a charter commission will be elected to write a city charter.
2. Opening of the Dexter Wellness Center: The Dexter Wellness Center is scheduled to open in the summer of 2013. The 48,000 square foot facility will feature a pool, saunas, gymnasium, strength and aerobic equipment, classroom space and other amenities.
3. Dexter Community Schools Superintendent: The search for Superintendent Mary Marshall's replacement is scheduled to be completed by the end of the 2012-2013 academic year. No names of potential candidates have been revealed by the school board.
4. Opening of Bits and Pizzas: Dexterites are eagerly anticipating the opening of the new Bits and Pizzas in downtown Dexter. In addition to pizza, the restaurant will offer a selection of hot and cold plates inspired by Mexican, Indian, Mediterranean and other cultures.
5. Completion of the Dexter Border-to-Border Trail connector: A three-mile asphalt and boardwalk segment of Washtenaw County's Border-to-Border trail running north from Dexter to the existing trail in Hudson Mills Metropark will be completed in summer 2013. According to the county, when the trail is completed, from downtown Dexter, bikers will be able to take a 12-mile roundtrip bike ride through the metroparks and stay all on off-road trails.
What are you looking forward to in 2013 around the Dexter area? Are there any new events happening around town this year?