The daily 5 has the weather forecast, gas prices, and some suggestions on how to spend your day.
1. The weather
The National Weather Service predicts showers and possibly a thunderstorm today, with a high near 71 degrees. Friday night showers are likely, with a low around 57 degrees.
2. 40th annual Dexter Daze Festival
The Dexter Daze Festival opens today in the village. Games, food, and entertainment abound starting at 11 a.m. at Monument Park. For a complete schedule of events, check out Patch's Dexter Daze coverage.
3. Dexter Historical Society Quilt Show
The Dexter Area Historical Society is pleased to present another quiilt show and antique /yard sale. Both will be held during Dexter Daze, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Friday and Saturday. Admission is $4.
4. Gas prices
MichiganGasPrices.com reports the following gasoline prices in the Dexter area as of Thursday night:
- $3.95 a gallon (regular), $3.99 (diesel), BP, 200 Baker Rd.
- $3.98 a gallon (regular), $3.99 (diesel), , 2940 Baker Rd.
- $3.95 a gallon (regular), $3.99 (diesel), , 195 Baker Rd.
- $3.95 a gallon (regular), $3.93 (diesel), , 750 Baker Rd.
- $4.09 a gallon (regular), $4.02 (diesel) BP, 8135 Main St.
- $4.09 a gallon (regular), $4.02 (diesel), Mobil, 7177 Dexter-Ann Arbor Rd.
5. This day in history
Aug. 10, 1937: The electric guitar—the instrument that revolutionized jazz, blues and country music and made the later rise of rock and roll possible—was recognized by the U.S. Patent Office on this day in 1937 with the award of Patent #2,089.171 to G.D. Beauchamp for an instrument known as the Rickenbacker Frying Pan. For more historic dates, visit www.history.com.