The daily 5 has the weather forecast, gas prices, and some suggestions on how to spend your day.
1. The weather
The National Weather Service predicts today will be mostly sunny, with a high near 90 degrees. Thursday night will be partly cloudy, with a low around 68 degrees.
2. St. Andrew's Ice Cream Social
You have lots of choices at the annual today between 4:30 and 7:30 p.m. You can make the event either a German style picnic, or an American style picnic as the food offerings include Sloppy Joes, hot dogs, knockwurst with kraut, pulled pork sandwiches, German or American potato salad, baked beans, fruit cups and beverages. Prices are ala carte.
3. Music of the Heart: Music of Love and Romance for Celtic Harps
Storyteller Carol Krappus will perform a concert at the today at 7 p.m. The concert is free and open to the public.
4. Gas prices
MichiganGasPrices.com reports the following gasoline prices in the Dexter area as of Wednesday night:
- $3.78 a gallon (regular), $3.71 (diesel), BP, 200 Baker Rd.
- $3.79 a gallon (regular), $3.76 (diesel), , 2940 Baker Rd.
- $3.79 a gallon (regular), $3.69 (diesel), , 195 Baker Rd.
- $3.79 a gallon (regular), $3.69 (diesel), , 750 Baker Rd.
- $3.79 a gallon (regular), $3.51 (diesel) BP, 8135 Main St.
- $3.79 a gallon (regular), $4.19 (diesel), Mobil, 7177 Dexter-Ann Arbor Rd.
5. This day in history
Aug. 2, 1934: With the death of German President Paul von Hindenburg, Chancellor Adolf Hitler became absolute dictator of Germany under the title of Fuhrer, or "leader." The German army took an oath of allegiance to its new commander-in-chief, and the last remnants of Germany's democratic government were dismantled to make way for Hitler's Third Reich. For more historic dates, visit www.history.com.