The daily 5 has the weather forecast, gas prices, and some suggestions on how to spend your day.
1. The weather
The National Weather Service predicts mostly cloudy skies today, with a high near 33 degrees. Monday night will be mostly cloudy, with a low around 18 degrees.
2. Yellow Door New Year's Eve Breakfast for Faith in Action
The Yellow Door Breakfast will take place today from 9 a.m. to noon at the Chelsea Community Fair Grounds reception center, 20501 Old US-12. The breakfast is a fundraiser for Faith in Action in Chelsea and Dexter. Enjoy a scrumptious meal for a $10 donation.
3. Christmas tree collection
Christmas tree collection in the village of Dexter will begin on Jan. 2, 2013. There is not a set schedule – the Department of Public Works will pick them up as necessary. Please do not bag your trees and make sure all tinsel and ornaments have been removed.
4. Gas prices
MichiganGasPrices.com reports the following gasoline prices in the Dexter area as of Sunday night:
- $3.28 a gallon (regular) BP, 200 Baker Rd.
- $3.39 a gallon (regular), Sunoco, 2940 Baker Rd.
- $3.29 a gallon (regular), Pilot Service Station, 195 Baker Rd.
- $3.29 a gallon (regular), Pilot Service Station, 750 Baker Rd.
- $3.39 a gallon (regular), BP, 8135 Main St.
- $3.39 a gallon (regular), Mobil, 7177 Dexter-Ann Arbor Rd.
5. This day in history
Dec. 31, 1999: On this day in 1999, the United States, in accordance with the Torrijos-Carter Treaties, officially handed over control of the Panama Canal, putting the strategic waterway into Panamanian hands for the first time. For more historic dates, visit www.history.com.