The daily 5 has the weather forecast, gas prices, and some suggestions on how to spend your day.
1. The weather
The National Weather Service predicts partly sunny skies today, with a high near 31 degrees. Friday night will be mostly cloudy, with a low around 28 degrees. Saturday will be partly sunny, with a high near 40 degrees.
2. Movies & Muffins at the Dexter District Library
The Dexter District Library will screen the movie Guarding Tess starring Shirley MacLaine and Nicolas Cage. The story follows a former demanding First Lady of the United States who wants a particular Secret Service agent to head her bodyguard detail, even though he can't stand her. The movie will be shown at 2 p.m.
3. Varsity basketball game
The Dexter High School girls and boys varsity basketball teams will play Chelsea High School tonight at 6 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. Come support your Dexter Dreadnaughts!
4. Gas prices
MichiganGasPrices.com reports the following gasoline prices in the Dexter area as of Thursday night:
- $3.18 a gallon (regular) BP, 200 Baker Rd.
- $3.23 a gallon (regular), Sunoco, 2940 Baker Rd.
- $3.19 a gallon (regular), Pilot Service Station, 195 Baker Rd.
- $3.19 a gallon (regular), Pilot Service Station, 750 Baker Rd.
- $3.29 a gallon (regular), BP, 8135 Main St.
- $3.29 a gallon (regular), Mobil, 7177 Dexter-Ann Arbor Rd.
5. This day in history
Jan. 18, 1778: On this day the English explorer Capt. James Cook became the first European to discover the Hawaiian Islands when he sails past the island of Oahu. Two days later, he landed at Waimea on the island of Kauai and named the island group the Sandwich Islands, in honor of John Montague, who was the earl of Sandwich and one his patrons. For more historic dates, visit www.history.com.