The daily 5 has the weather forecast, gas prices, and some suggestions on how to spend your day.
1. The weather
The National Weather Service predicts an 80 percent chance of snow today, with a high near 23 degrees and a wind chill as low as -2 degrees. Friday evening will see scattered snow showers, with a low around 11 degrees. Saturday will be partly sunny, with a high near 24 degrees.
2. University of Michigan Ice Carving Extravaganza
Watch members of the University of Michigan Ice Carving Team as they carve sculptures on the sidewalks of Main Street, Liberty Street, Washington Street, and Fourth Avenue in Ann Arbor. Sculpting hours are 3 to 7 p.m. on Jan. 25; and 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Jan. 26.
3. Artistica’s Fourth Friday Art Show
Sawdust Steve will be bringing in more 3-D puzzles, boxes and his new Michigan shaped cribbage boards from 5 to 8 p.m. at Artistica in Dexter. Light refreshments will be served. Children are welcome to come and try out the puzzles.
4. Gas prices
MichiganGasPrices.com reports the following gasoline prices in the Dexter area as of Thursday night:
- $3.34 a gallon (regular) BP, 200 Baker Rd.
- $3.33 a gallon (regular), Sunoco, 2940 Baker Rd.
- $3.39 a gallon (regular), Pilot Service Station, 195 Baker Rd.
- $3.35 a gallon (regular), Pilot Service Station, 750 Baker Rd.
- $3.45 a gallon (regular), BP, 8135 Main St.
- $3.45 a gallon (regular), Mobil, 7177 Dexter-Ann Arbor Rd.
5. This day in history
Jan. 25, 1924: On this day in 1924, the first Winter Olympics launched at Chamonix in the French Alps. Spectators were thrilled by the ski jump and bobsled as well as 12 other events involving a total of six sports. For more historic dates, visit www.history.com.