The daily 5 has the weather forecast, gas prices, and some suggestions on how to spend your day.
1. The weather
The National Weather Service predicts Wednesday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 40 degrees. Wednesday night will see patchy freezing fog after 4 a.m., with mostly clear skies, and a low around 26 degrees.
2. Varsity Ice Hockey vs. Bedford
The Dexter High School Dreadnaughts will take on Bedford at the Veterans Ice Arena, 2150 Jackson Ave. in Ann Arbor, today beginning at 5 p.m. Come support your Dreadnaughts!
3. Learn about Michigan's Interurban Railways
Interurban historian Norm Krentel will present a fascinating program on the interurban railways in Michigan at Silver Maples of Chelsea on Wednesday, Jan. 9 at 3 p.m. at Silver Maples of Chelsea.
Krentel will be accompanied by photographer Doug Johnson who has joined Krentel on his journeys around the state to gather the history of transportation in Michigan that culminated in the electric interurban railways. He'll outline where they operated in Southern Michigan and how they were used to move passengers and freight.
This program is open to the public.
4. Gas prices
MichiganGasPrices.com reports the following gasoline prices in the Dexter area as of Tuesday night:
- $3.28 a gallon (regular) BP, 200 Baker Rd.
- $3.22 a gallon (regular), Sunoco, 2940 Baker Rd.
- $3.29 a gallon (regular), Pilot Service Station, 195 Baker Rd.
- $3.29 a gallon (regular), Pilot Service Station, 750 Baker Rd.
- $3.25 a gallon (regular), BP, 8135 Main St.
- $3.29 a gallon (regular), Mobil, 7177 Dexter-Ann Arbor Rd.
5. This day in history
Jan. 9, 1776: On this day in 1776, writer Thomas Paine published his pamphlet "Common Sense," setting forth his arguments in favor of American independence. Although little used today, pamphlets were an important medium for the spread of ideas in the 16th through 19th centuries. For more historic dates, visit www.history.com.