The daily 5 has the weather forecast, gas prices, and some suggestions on how to spend your day.
1. The weather
The National Weather Service predicts an 80 percent chance of rain today, mainly before 8 a.m., with a high near 52 degrees. Wednesday night will be partly cloudy, with a low around 32 degrees.
2. Canning and Preserving Workshop
Learn the basics of canning and preserving with Kristen Uthus. This detailed walk through of the steps of the canning and preserving will cover jam making, tomato, bean, fruits and meats. The workshop will take place at the Dexter District Library at 1 p.m.
3. Safe Routes to School Meeting
The Dexter Wellness Coalition has joined forces with the Chelsea-Area Wellness Foundation and Michigan State University's Small Town Design Initiative to launch the Safe Routes to School Program in Dexter. The most important components of this initiative is getting input from community members about the current barriers to safe walking and biking for school-age children. The group will meet today at 6:30 p.m. at Creekside Intermediate School.
4. Gas prices
MichiganGasPrices.com reports the following gasoline prices in the Dexter area as of Tuesday night:
- $3.87 a gallon (regular) BP, 200 Baker Rd.
- $3.87 a gallon (regular), Sunoco, 2940 Baker Rd.
- $3.87 a gallon (regular), Pilot Service Station, 195 Baker Rd.
- $3.87 a gallon (regular), Pilot Service Station, 750 Baker Rd.
- $3.87 a gallon (regular), BP, 8135 Main St.
- $3.89 a gallon (regular), Mobil, 7177 Dexter-Ann Arbor Rd.
5. This day in history
Oct. 10, 1973: Less than a year before Richard M. Nixon's resignation as president of the United States, Spiro Agnew became the first U.S. vice president to resign in disgrace. The same day, he pleaded no contest to a charge of federal income tax evasion in exchange for the dropping of charges of political corruption. For more historic dates, visit www.history.com.