With the start of 2013, there was no shortage of local news. In case you missed it, here's some of this week's big stories in the Dexter and Chelsea area.
1. An 87-year-old woman from Washtenaw County died on Thursday due to meningitis, the Huffington Post reported. The Michigan Department of Community Health reports that 11 deaths have been associated to meningitis in Michigan since 2012.
2. Katie Stirling of Dexter joined the staff at the Dexter Senior Center, Patch reported. Stirling replaces former director Kim Martini, and has already begun planning new events for seniors.
3. MLive.com reported that a Saline man died Thursday after falling into a lake while ice fishing in Lenawee County.
4. Dexter Jazzercise celebrated its 20th anniversary in Dexter, Patch.com reported. Juli Huddleston celebrated her business' 20th anniversary, leading a gala burlesque-style workout party for dozens of members.
5. Chelsea Standard reported that firefighters with the Chelsea-Area Fire Authority have until Jan. 24 to decide whether to unionize. At least four of the department’s 12 firefighters filed with the International Association of Firefighters.