Happy Halloween, Dexter!
In case you still need to head out to buy that last minute candy (or, worse yet, a costume), we wanted to give you a quick guide to everything you need to know to enjoy Halloween in Dexter.
Kids: Look for those porch lights to be coming on around 5:30 p.m. to mark the official start to trick-or-treating in Dexter. The fun runs until 7:30 p.m.
It wouldn't be a Michigan Halloween if the kids didn't have to wear long underwear under their costumes and winter coats on top! The chance of rain is likely and it'll be cold — somewhere in the 40s with light winds, according to the National Weather Service. The skies will be cloudy and a waxing crescent moon won't offer much light. Better take a flashlight and an umbrella.
shared with Dexter Patch some helpful tips to remember while venturing out tonight:
- A parent, guardian or older brother or sister should accompany children and only go to houses of people they know. If someone older cannot go, trick or treat with a group of children.
- Do not enter the house to obtain a treat.
- Parents should choose the correct clothing or costume. Light colors are more easily seen at night. Make up or masks should provide good visibility for the trick or treater.
- Use reflective tape on your costume and carry a flashlight so you can see and be seen easily.
- Plan your trick or treat route ahead of time. Pick streets that are well lighted. Children should look carefully before crossing the street and cross only at corners. Never cross the street between parked cars or in the middle of the block.
- Watch for traffic.
- Only give and accept wrapped or packaged candy.
- Parents should carefully inspect treats for signs of tampering or metal objects.
- Suspicious persons should be reported to the Police Department.
- Have a safe and happy Halloween!
We know you're going to snap photos of your little Transformer or Cinderella, so why not share them on Dexter Patch for a chance to win a vacation? Upload photos of your child before 9 p.m. tonight and you'll be entered in the giveaway. One lucky winner will get a three-day, two-night trip for two to New York or Los Angeles to meet Heidi Klum.
If you need more Halloween news, you've come to the right place. We have plenty of stories to catch up on (while trying to resist eating all that candy you bought to hand out tonight.)