Monday, February 18, 2013
The fire department was dispatched to Dexter Township on Sunday after a vehicle crashed through the ice on Portage Lake.
Dexter Area Fire Department firefighters participated in an ice rescue Sunday afternoon after a 24-year-old woman called for help on Portage Lake in Dexter Township. According to Lt. Tim Burke, the driver was "not paying attention to her surroundings" and ended up roughly 400 feet in the middle of Portage Lake. Burke said firefighters and the Washtenaw County Sheriff's Dive Team responded to an emergency call around 2:30 p.m., when the woman's Monte Carlo broke partially through the ice. "It didn’t take long for us to get out there," Burke said. "We had three guys with water suits perform a rope rescue within 15 minutes." Burke said the woman was disoriented but was not injured. "We're not sure why she had her car out on the lake," he said…
Friday, January 25, 2013
The Dexter Area Fire Department responded to a house fire in the 10000 block of Fleming Road on Friday.
The Dexter Area Fire Department responded to a home fire in the 10000 block of Fleming Road in Dexter Township on Friday. According to Ann Arbor.com, firefighters were dispatched at 9:28 a.m. for reports of smoke in the basement. The homeowners were evacuated from the property uninjured. The newspaper reports that the fire was isolated to the basement near a wood-burning stove, and was extinguished in about 10 minutes. The basement was the only part of the house that suffered smoke damage. Fire crews cleared the scene around 10:22 a.m. Read the complete story on Ann Arbor.com.
Thursday, January 24, 2013
The Dexter Area Fire Department will inspect temporary and permanent fireworks stands in the township for safety compliance.
The Dexter Township Board of Trustees adopted a resolution at its meeting on Jan. 15 to allow Dexter Area Fire Department firefighters to conduct inspections for local consumer fireworks sales facilities. The resolution was approved at the request of DAFD Fire Chief Loren Yates. According to Capt. Donald Dettling, Michigan fire departments were notified in 2012 of an opportunity to apply for inspection delegation for consumer fireworks sales facilities from the Bureau of Fire Services. Dettling said due to the growing number of fireworks stands in Michigan, the state is passing consumer fireworks inspection authority to local jurisdictions that have state certified fire inspectors. On Jan. 1, 2012 a law went into effect allowing for the …
Thursday, January 17, 2013
The engine will be stationed at the DAFD temporary substation in Dexter Township.
The Dexter Area Fire Department recently expanded its fleet of emergency response vehicles with the purchase of a new fire engine. The engine costs roughly $350,000 and will be used as the primary response vehicle for Dexter Township, according to Capt. Don Dettling. "We needed another engine as a direct result of expanding our coverage area," he said. The department covers the village of Dexter, all of Webster Township, 95 percent of Dexter Township, and 20 percent of Lima Township. Prior to the purchase of the new truck, Dettling said firefighters were covering DAFD station 2 on North Territorial Road with its engine stationed in Webster Township. The truck wiill be stationed in Dexter Township once firefighters complete training on it, …
Saturday, November 17, 2012
Amica Insurance, local firefighters offer five tips to help stay safe while cooking holiday meals.
- HOLIDAY GUIDE
Saturday, November 17, 2012
’Tis the season for preparing holiday feasts, and Amica Insurance has some tips to make sure you stay safe in the kitchen. “Cooking for family and friends is synonymous with the holiday season,” said Lisa St. Onge, an assistant vice president with Amica Insurance. “And while it’s certainly a time to celebrate, we need to remember that cooking also poses a fire safety risk.” Firefighters respond to an average of 155,000 cooking fires a year, according to federal fire statistics. About 460 people die each year as a result of these fires, which also result in nearly 5,000 injuries and $724 million in property damage. The United States Fire Administration reports that the number of cooking fires increases on Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve and …
Monday, October 8, 2012
A ceiling fan in the women's restroom at the pub malfunctioned causing a minor fire on Monday morning.
A malfunctioning ceiling fan is to blame for a small electrical fire that occurred at Dexter's Pub early Monday morning. The Dexter Area Fire Department and Scio Township Fire Department responded to the scene at approximately 11:10 a.m. According to Lt. Tim Burke, the fire was contained in the women's restroom and no injuries were reported. Burke said firefighters were on scene for approximately 45 minutes. Smoke and water accounted for most of the damage to the building, which Burke estimates was around $3,500. The cause of the malfunction is still under investigation. "It could have been age, or a defective part. It's not uncommon for the fans to stop working," he said.
Wednesday, August 22, 2012
Dexter Township will purchase 5.02 acres of land on North Territorial Road from PJK Dexter, LLC.
The Dexter Township Board of Trustees took a step closer to establishing a permanent fire station in the township at its meeting on Tuesday. The board voted 6-1 with Trustee Steve Feinman absent, to purchase 5.02 acres of land at 11485 N. Territorial Road from PJK Dexter, LLC at a cost of $262,000. In addition, the board authorized Supervisor Pat Kelly to contract for an environmental study of the property at a cost not to exceed $5,000. "This is a huge step in the right direction in terms of protecting our residents," Kelly said. The purchase of the 5-acre property follows the recommendation of the township's Public Safety Advisory Committee (PSAC), who suggested the construction of a new fire substation, which will be manned 24 hours by …
Sunday, July 1, 2012
A Dexter swim meet was relocated to the Ann Arbor Country Club after parents reported smelling a strong odor of chlorine in the air.
Firefighters evacuated Wylie Community Pool on Saturday after a pool pump malfunctioned, releasing too much chlorine. According to Ann Arbor.com, families attending a swim meet at the school reported smelling a strong odor of chlorine about 9:15 a.m. Firefighters evacuated about 50 to 75 people, and the swim meet was moved to the Ann Arbor Country Club. Four members of the Washtenaw County Hazardous Materials Team were called in to help secure the school and ventilate the chlorine from the air in the building. No injuries were reported.
Friday, June 29, 2012
The National Weather Service expects temperatures to remain in the high 90s through the weekend, which can lead to grass and wildfires.
The Dexter Area Fire Department and Scio Township Fire Department have issued a ban on outdoor burning due to extremely hot temperatures and dry weather that has affected most of Southeast Michigan since Thursday. "Due to the dry heat and high temperatures expected over the next several days, we won't be issuing any burn permits until it rains," Lt. Michael Grissom of the DAFD said. Firefighter Jordan Burns said open burn bans do not include outdoor grills and other devices that can properly contain a fire. "We know a lot of people will be grilling for the Fourth of July weekend," he said. "You still need to call the fire department to find out what we're allowing." Open burning typically involves burning dry leaves, flowers and other …
Monday, June 25, 2012
No injuries were reported when a small electrical fire broke out at a home on Noble Street on Monday.
The Dexter Area Fire Department and Scio Township Fire Department were dispatched to a home located in the 3000 block of Noble Street on Monday in response to an electrical fire that broke out around 6 p.m. According to DAFD Capt. Don Dettling, the fire was contained to a second floor closet and was reported by a painting crew working on the home. No injuries were reported. The owners were not home at the time of the fire, Dettling said. The cause of the fire is under investigation.